Re: Materialized views WIP patch

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)mail(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Materialized views WIP patch
Date: 2012-11-15 23:35:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 21:28 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Attached is a patch that is still WIP but that I think is getting
> pretty close to completion. It is not intended to be the be-all and
> end-all for materialized views, but the minimum useful feature set --
> which is all that I've had time to do for this release. In
> particular, the view is only updated on demand by a complete rebuild.
> For the next release, I hope to build on this base to allow more
> eager and incremental updates, and perhaps a concurrent batch update.

The documentation says that a materialized view is basically a
create-table-as-select except that it remembers the query. Would you say
that there is a compelling use case for this alone, or is this a
building block for more sophisticated materialized view support (e.g.
eager updating) later?

Regards,
	Jeff Davis