Promoting a Cascading Standby

From: Gl Vm <glenn_vml(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Promoting a Cascading Standby
Date: 2012-10-05 16:19:00
Lists: pgsql-admin
If i have one master, one upstream server and one downstream server. If the master goes down and upstream server was promoted to be master. The documentation says:
Promoting a cascading standby terminates the immediate downstream replication connections which it serves. This is because the timeline becomes different between standbys, and they can no longer continue replication. The affected standby(s) may reconnect to reestablish streaming replication.

I'm confused about the last statement "The affected standby(s) may reconnect to reestablish streaming replication."... Does this mean I don't have to rebuild the downstream server and just reconnect it and it will continue to be a standby? eventhough it's in a different timeline now?

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Babay Adi, HavaDate: 2012-10-09 09:47:42