Re: ALTER command reworks

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER command reworks
Date: 2012-10-03 21:28:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Alvaro Herrera's message of mié oct 03 18:25:54 -0300 2012:
> Excerpts from Kohei KaiGai's message of lun sep 10 08:08:32 -0300 2012:
>
> > As attached, I split off the original one into three portions; for set-schema,
> > set-owner and rename-to. Please apply them in order of patch filename.
> > Regarding to the error message, RenameErrorMsgAlreadyExists() was added
> > to handle per object type messages in case when aclcheck_error() is not
> > available to utilize.
>
> I have pushed the regression tests and parts 1 and 2.  Only part 3 is
> missing from this series, but I'm not as sure about that one as the
> other two.  Not really a fan of RenameErrorMsgAlreadyExists() as coded,
> but I'll think more about it.

I forgot to mention: I think with a little more effort (a callback to be
registered as the permission check to run during SET OWNER, maybe?) we
could move the foreign stuff and event triggers into the generic SET
OWNER implementation.