Re: CREATE SCHEMA IF NOT EXISTS

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Dickson S(dot) Guedes <listas(at)guedesoft(dot)net>
Cc: fabriziomello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, david <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
Subject: Re: CREATE SCHEMA IF NOT EXISTS
Date: 2012-10-02 19:08:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The fundamental issue with this patch hasn't been answered sufficiently,
I think. Consider the following sequence of commands:

create schema if not exists foo create table first (a int);
create schema if not exists foo create table second (a int);

As far as I can see, with the patch as it currently stands, you would
end up with only table "first" in the schema, which seems very
surprising to me.

I think this needs more thought, and in any case it needs more
comprehensive regression test and documentation (i.e. at least the
examples ought to explain what would happen in such cases).