Re: WIP checksums patch

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WIP checksums patch
Date: 2012-10-01 02:09:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 17:58 -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
> This is just a rebased version of the patch by Simon here:

I just noticed the following note in the docs for this patch:

  The default is <literal>off</> for backwards compatibility and
  to allow upgrade. The recommended setting is <literal>on</> though
  this should not be enabled until upgrade is successfully complete
  with full set of new backups.

I don't understand what that means -- if they have the page_checksums
GUC available, then surely upgrade is complete, right? And what is the
backwards-compatibility issue?

Also, it looks out of date, because the default in guc.c is set to true.
I think we should probably default to true, because it's safer and it
can always be disabled at runtime, but I don't have a strong opinion
about that.

Regards,
	Jeff Davis