RPMs and regression tests (was Re: v7.2b3 packaged...)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Horst Herb <hherb(at)malleenet(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RPMs and regression tests (was Re: v7.2b3 packaged...)
Date: 2001-11-23 23:55:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Horst Herb <hherb(at)malleenet(dot)net(dot)au> writes:
> I assumed that the purpose of a regression test is to verify that software
> is doing what it is supposed to do on the system it as installed.

So it is. What Lamar is proposing to provide as part of the RPMs is not
usable for that purpose, at least not easily. That's why I'm not happy.

A possible solution is to give pg_regress.sh a third behavior in which
it relies on an already-installed set of binaries and library files,
but still initdb's a temporary data area and starts a test postmaster
therein. That would allow controlling the locale issue in the tested
database. I'm not sure if this can be done easily enough to make it
a viable answer for 7.2, though. It's a tad late in the beta cycle
to be contemplating any major surgery on pg_regress.

Peter, any thoughts about how hard that might be?