Re: [HACKERS] Behavior of GENERATED columns per SQL2003

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Behavior of GENERATED columns per SQL2003
Date: 2007-05-08 15:02:41
Lists: pgsql-patches
Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
> Tom Lane rta:
>> * There is no GENERATED BY DEFAULT AS (expr) in the spec.

> Yes, and because it already exists and called DEFAULT.

No, plain DEFAULT isn't a substitute, because it can't reference the
values of other columns.  I think there is a use-case for an overridable
GENERATED expression, but won't press the point right now.

>> Is anyone familiar with a database that implements SQL-spec generated
>> columns?  Do they actually store the columns?

> David Fuhry answered this question with the advertised intention.

Yeah, that's good to know --- the text of the spec is quite unhelpful
about telling you what they intended ...