Re: Increasing WAL usage followed by sudden drop

From: delongboy <sdelong(at)saucontech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Increasing WAL usage followed by sudden drop
Date: 2012-08-23 14:43:18
Lists: pgsql-performance
Jeff Janes wrote
> It seems like it shouldn't be all that hard to write a tool to parse
> WAL logs in a context-free basis (i.e. without the backup to start
> applying them to) and emit some kind of descriptions of the records
> and their sizes.  But I don't know about such a tool already existing,
> and am not able to offer to create one.  (And assuming one existed,
> keeping it in sync with the main code would be a continuing problem)

I appreciate your help Jeff.  I have come across what would seem such a
Its called xlogdump
I am working on getting it installed, having issues with libs I think at the
moment. I will let you know how it works out.

Thank you everybody for your input!

Sent from the PostgreSQL - performance mailing list archive at