Re: BUG #4958: Stats collector hung on WaitForMultipleObjectsEx while attempting to recv a datagram

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Luke Koops <luke(dot)koops(at)entrust(dot)com>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #4958: Stats collector hung on WaitForMultipleObjectsEx while attempting to recv a datagram
Date: 2012-08-21 19:17:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of mar ago 21 14:54:28 -0400 2012:

> (BTW, I think commit 9b63e9869ffaa4d6d3e8bf45086a765d8f310f1c contains
> a thinko in one of the comments: shouldn't "a crock of the first
> water" be "a crock of the first order"?)

I was interested by that phrase when I saw the commit, and as usual when
I see a phrase from Tom that looks like it might mean something
interesting, I looked it up. Apparently "of the first water" means "of
the highest quality" or "of the most extreme kind":
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/of+the+first+water
(Curiously enough, the example usage for the first sense in that site
mentions some gentleman by name of Tom.)

I have learned a few neat English language tricks by paying careful
attention to Tom's choice of words. There doesn't seem to be many
people in these lists that use English in just the same way.