Re: Deferred constraints performance impact ?

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: mark <dvlhntr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Deferred constraints performance impact ?
Date: 2012-08-12 22:42:10
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 20:27 -0600, mark wrote:
> I understand a lot more may have to be tracked through a transaction and
> there could be some impact from that. Similar to an after update trigger? Or
> are the two not comparable in terms of impact from what is tracked and then
> checked.

They should be very comparable to AFTER triggers. It's actually a little
better because there are optimizations to avoid queuing constraint
checks if we know it will pass.

I would recommend testing a few degenerate cases to see how big the
impact is, and try to see if that is reasonable for your application.

Regards,
	Jeff Davis