Re: Error on pg_settings.bytea_output for pg9.1

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
Cc: "Emcisc (JinWei) Zhao" <ezhao(at)telecomsys(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error on pg_settings.bytea_output for pg9.1
Date: 2012-07-31 07:07:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 14:06 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 07/31/2012 01:50 PM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> >> Check the PgAdmin-III preferences; there may be an option to control its
> >> preferred bytea format.
> >>
> > There's no option to control this.
> >
> Thanks for confirming that.
>
> Is it really best for PgAdmin-III to have a different default than Pg
> its self?

Well, we didn't until we had an issue to get informations from the
tgargs column of the pg_trigger catalog. I don't remember the details
right now, and I still didn't check how psql works with this, so I may
be wrong. The only way I could find to fix the issue was to set
bytea_output to escape. It probably is specific to pgAdmin.

If we can't fix this another way, we can have a workaround. We only need
this setting for pgAdmin's browser. Not the query tool. It would be a
nice and quick workaround.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info