Re: Moving a database AND changing the superuser

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rich Cullingford <rculling(at)sysd(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Moving a database AND changing the superuser
Date: 2003-12-15 17:05:41
Lists: pgsql-admin
Rich Cullingford <rculling(at)sysd(dot)com> writes:
> Hmmm, how do you use 7.4 utilities against a 7.3 DB?

pg_dump can dump from prior-release DBs (back to 7.0 at the moment).
Just point it at the older DB's port.

This is a bit tricky when installing from RPMs, since there's no really
easy way to install just pg_dump and libpq without overwriting your old
server executable, which you don't want to do just yet.

> I'm assuming that you don't mean:
> --superuser=username
> which seems to be for disabling triggers, but perhaps the following as a
> parameter to pg_dumpall:
> --use-set-session-authorization

Yeah, the latter is really the important part I think.  In 7.4 that is
the default (and only) behavior, but you can get it in 7.3 by using the
switch.  So the 7.3 pg_dump should be good enough for this purpose.