Re: Length of Varchar

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Ian Barwick <barwick(at)gmx(dot)net>, Andre Schubert <andre(at)km3(dot)de>,pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Length of Varchar
Date: 2003-01-24 15:45:39
Lists: pgsql-admin
Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> There is a "gamblers lunch", for those willing to risk total system
> failure and the lives of there first born child.

Aw, it's not that dangerous ;-).  You can improve your odds considerably
if you issue BEGIN; before you start dorking with the system tables,
and COMMIT only after you're satisfied you have things right.  If you
realize you blew it, ROLLBACK.

Still, I'd recommend practicing on a scratch database before you do it
for real.