Re: [SQL] plpgsql error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
Cc: alewis(at)themecca(dot)net (Andy Lewis), apendleton(at)vgsinc(dot)com, pgsql-sql(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] plpgsql error
Date: 1999-05-11 14:28:38
Lists: pgsql-sql

jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck) writes:
>> Change: as '${exec_prefix}/lib/plpgsql.so'
>> to: as '/usr/local/pgsql/lib/plpgsql.so'
>>
>> This should really be part of the documentation as I wasted two days on
>> this same problem a few weeks back.

> And this became IMHO an FAQ. Should we avoid it by installing
> PL/pgSQL and PL/Tcl (if built) by default in the template1
> database during intidb?

Actually, I thought the same until last night, when I realized that
mklang.sql is in fact being made wrong --- the ${exec_prefix} should
be expanded when the file is created, but it isn't. (There's another
bug in it too: .so is hardwired, when it should be DLSUFFIX.)

So now I think what's really going on is that people *are* faithfully
following the install directions, but it's not working because of this
screwup. Oops.

Fixing it is not quite as trivial as I first thought --- see related
messages in hackers list.

regards, tom lane