Re: SQL standards in Mysql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ken Johanson <pg-user(at)kensystem(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL standards in Mysql
Date: 2008-02-23 05:50:23
Lists: pgsql-sql
Ken Johanson <pg-user(at)kensystem(dot)com> writes:
> Here's one Mysql developer's response to adding (fixing) the
> integer/bigint/tinyint types to their CAST function:

> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=34562

Hmm ... while I'm certainly not someone to defend mysql on a regular
basis, I can see their point of view here.  They are supporting a
limited (and clearly documented) subset of the SQL spec in this area,
so it's surely a feature request rather than a bug that they don't
support more.  The disagreement seems to come down to what the priority
of the feature addition ought to be.  We have a few sore spots of our
own on questions like this one, so I'm disinclined to throw the first
stone ...