Re: Schema version management

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)trustly(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Schema version management
Date: 2012-07-03 17:49:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On ons, 2012-06-27 at 10:02 +0200, Joel Jacobson wrote:
> Robert, thank you for keeping this thread alive.

> Hopefully some more will join the discussion.

> I'm still hopeful the community can manage to agree upon acceptable
> tradeoffs and work-arounds to make this possible.

I think this idea has merit.  Prepare a patch and put it into the next
commit fest.

> I think the benefits clearly outweighs the minor issues of filenames,
> dumping order, etc.

I see the problem that since the dump order is in general not
deterministic, this will cause random reordering in your master file
that includes all the individual files.

Then again, making the dump order deterministic is a problem that can be
solved (I suppose), so maybe starting there would be a good step.  But
it will require a small amount of in-depth pg_dump hacking.