Re: 64-bit pgbench V2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 64-bit pgbench V2
Date: 2010-07-06 00:17:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> The main tricky part was figuring how to convert the \setshell
> implementation.  That uses strtol to parse the number that should have
> been returned by the shell call.  It turns out there are a stack of ways
> to do something similar but return 64 bits instead:

Please choose a way that doesn't introduce new portability assumptions.
The backend gets along fine without strtoll, and I don't see why pgbench
should have to require it.

(BTW, I don't actually believe that the proposed code works at all,
since in general strtoll or other variants aren't going to be macros,
but plain functions.)