Re: [HACKERS] Source code format vote

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Source code format vote
Date: 1999-12-30 15:11:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Current votes are:
> (8) 8-space tabs: Tom Lane, Peter E., Massimo, Jan, Hiroshi, Peter M.,
> Michael, Tatsuo
> (5) 4-space tabs: Bruce, Andreas, Vince, Vadim, D'Arcy

> open bracket on if () line:
> (7) yes: Massimo, Peter, Vince, Tom Lane, Peter M., Marc, Tatsuo
> (6) no: Bruce, Vadim, D'Arcy, Jan, Hiroshi, Michael M.

> Looks like radical change will come to our source code format for 7.0.

It looks to me like there is consensus to change the tab spacing (which
is NOT the same as the logical indent step, for those newcomers who
don't seem to be aware of the difference).

However, I don't see a consensus to change the bracket layout.
7-to-6 is not enough of a margin to justify a wholesale code change.
Especially considering that my original vote was NO, which Bruce chose
to interpret as YES ;-). Change it back to NO, and the vote is the
other way.

I think what we have is a consensus to change the physical tab spacing
but leave the look of the code alone...