Re: ALTER TABLE OWNER: change indexes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE OWNER: change indexes
Date: 2002-02-24 23:33:07
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Maybe indexes and TOAST tables shouldn't have ownership it all. (Set
> relowner to 0.) Since only owners can create these things, there doesn't
> seem to be a point in maintaining ownership.

That's a good thought. At one time we allowed non-owners to create
indexes on tables, but it was correctly pointed out that this was a
bad idea (think UNIQUE index, or a functional index that always
causes an error...). I can't see a real good reason for either indexes
or TOAST tables to have a concept of ownership distinct from the parent
table.

psql's \d displays might have some trouble with this, and pg_dump might
get confused too. But fixing them would be a net improvement in
robustness so it's probably a reasonable thing to do.