Question about PITR backup

From: sgm <sgm277(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)cn>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Question about PITR backup
Date: 2012-06-08 10:43:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

Dear admin,
I have a question about PITR backup in a single server, the method is make a base backup, and backup the WAL archive log(eg, every day at 11:30 pm). But if the OS' harddisk is broken(eg,14:00 pm),the system can't start, we have to recover the database on a another server using the base backup and the WAL backup,so in this case suppose that we only can restore the database to yesterday's 11:30 pm state, am I right?
How can we recover the database to 14:00 pm? We are missing the newest pg_xlog.
I want to backup the pg_xlog folder every minute by crontab but my concern is that the data inconsistent, because the lastest log in pg_xlog is being updated all the time, am I right?   Any suggestions?
Very appreciated your answer.
Thanks,
Song