Re: possible bug in psql

From: chester c young <chestercyoung(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: possible bug in psql
Date: 2012-05-30 03:33:35
Lists: pgsql-sql
> > do not know if right mailing list
> >
> > in psql in Ubuntu, when beginning with a smaller
> terminal, eg, 80
> > col wide, then moving to a larger terminal, eg, 132 col
> wide, the
> > readline(?) editor in psql still treats like 80 cols,
> making it
> > impossible to edit longer text.
>
> As far as I know (as this is the behavior in debian stable)
> the ubuntu people use libgettext and not libreadline.
>
> You can force it to use libreadline by using
> LD_PRELOAD.  I reccomend
> that you do I did this by editing /usr/bin/psql which is a
> perl script
>
> In any case linux doesn't propogate SIG_WINCH to the other
> processes
> that are using the pty so even if you are using readline you
> have to
> force this by resizing the window again after exiting the
> pager, and
> then press ctrl-l to clear the screen.

seems to me that Ubuntu is using readline (but I might be wrong)

from /usr/bin/psql:

# libreadline is a lot better than libedit, so prefer that
if ($cmdname eq 'psql') {
    my @readlines;
    push @readlines, sort(</lib/libreadline.so.*>);
    if (@readlines) {
    $ENV{'LD_PRELOAD'} = ($ENV{'LD_PRELOAD'} or '') . ':' . $readlines[-1];
    }
}

also, LD_PRELOAD is not referenced anywhere in /etc/postgrest/...

pgsql-sql by date

Next:From: lewblochDate: 2012-05-31 16:55:27