Re: BUG #5595: Documentation is not installs from VPATH build.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Dmtiriy Igrishin <dmitigr(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5595: Documentation is not installs from VPATH build.
Date: 2010-08-26 18:06:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> We could fix this in several ways.  Either hardcode exceptions for the
> 'html' directory in prep_buildtree, or only create directories that
> contain a makefile, which could also be achieved by pruning empty
> directories at the end of prep_buildtree.  All of these might have other
> side effects I'm not seeing right now.

I looked at this some more and now understand the failure mechanism;
I misunderstood your explanation before.  I think that the simplest
and most reliable fix is your first alternative, ie, hack prep_buildtree
to not auto-create an html directory (we might need the same for the
man dirs, not sure).  This should work for all cases, both building
docs in a VPATH and using pre-built docs from the source tree (but
I will check that).  This is a bit ugly, for sure, but anything that
might have side-effects elsewhere in the build tree will require
more testing than we have time for.  Since the 9.0RC1 wrap deadline
is hard upon us, I'm going to go implement the simple fix.