Re: Bug tracker tool we need

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jay Levitt <jay(dot)levitt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alex <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug tracker tool we need
Date: 2012-04-18 14:15:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On ons, 2012-04-18 at 08:28 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> It's very tempting to assume that the problem we're trying to solve
> must already have been well-solved by someone else, and therefore we
> ought to use their thing instead of inventing our own. But that
> presumes that our problem is exactly the same as other people's
> problem, which may not really be true.

It's also very tempting to assume the opposite. ;-)

> IME, bug trackers typically work best when used by a tightly
> integrated team.

Well, very many loosely distributed open-source projects use bug
trackers quite successfully.

> So I think Greg has exactly the right idea: we shouldn't try to
> incorporate one of these systems that aims to manage workflow;

Um, isn't half of the commitfest app about workflow? Patch is waiting
for review, who is the reviewer, patch is waiting for author, who is the
author, patch is ready for committer, who is the committer? And every
week or so the commitfest manager (if any) produces a report on patch
progress. Isn't that exactly what these "workflow management" systems
provide?