Re: ./configure problems on Fedora Core 8

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Carlos Picazzo <ojaiguy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ./configure problems on Fedora Core 8
Date: 2008-02-06 18:17:56
Lists: pgsql-ports

Carlos Picazzo <ojaiguy(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I've attached the both the output of './configure
> ----enable-thread-safety' and the config.log from 8.3.0. Naturally, the
> config.log was a bit big so I've gzipped it. Hopefully it will contain
> the important information.

I think the problem is that every single one of the test compilations
produces this error message:

/usr/bin/ld: error in /usr/lib/gcc/i686-redhat-linux/4.2.2/crtend.o(.eh_frame); no .eh_frame_hdr table will be created.

Apparently it is just a warning because the compiler returns status
zero anyway, but nonetheless it will confuse our configure script ---
in particular, I think what's biting you is that the test to see which
threads flags to use can't tell that this isn't a complaint about a
bogus thread switch, so it omits to use -pthread which is necessary.
There are some other tests that might be going wrong too.

I see that the gcc on my stock Fedora 8 machine is 4.1.2, so I suppose
that this 4.2.2 you are using came from someplace other than Red Hat.
I fear it's a bit broken :-(