Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC: BigDecimal and Money confusion

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Lillywhite <mark(at)plasticsoftware(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC: BigDecimal and Money confusion
Date: 1999-09-18 14:30:11
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Mark Lillywhite <mark(at)plasticsoftware(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> (As an aside, I found the PGMoney class but it too only accepts doubles. I
> could use doubleValue() on the BigDecimal but I am worried about the loss of
> precision given my past experience. So my position is that I reckon I should
> be able to use arbitrary precision up until the database interprets it).

Mark, I dunno what Postgres version you are using, but there is a
genuine arbitrary-precision-decimal NUMERIC type in Postgres 6.5 & up.
That's probably what you should be using. The old 'money' type is a
hack, because it overflows too easily. ($20 million ain't what it
used to be ;-).) It's now deprecated and will probably go away
entirely at some point.