Re: Disruptive corruption of data during an update

From: Steve T <steve(at)retsol(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Ennio-Sr <nasr(dot)laili(at)tin(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disruptive corruption of data during an update
Date: 2012-03-29 12:40:55
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 13:49 +0200, Ennio-Sr wrote:

> A few minutes ago I wrote:
> ---- quote
> update command:
> --------
> mydb=> update bibl set argomento='curatori', autore='DELLA VOLPE Galvano \
> (con due capitoli aggiunti e note di) where n_prog=3285;
> mydb'> ';
>
> UPDATE 12845
> mydb=>
> --------
>
> Having an adequate back-up I think I'll be able to recover the data, but
> can someone explain what the hell happened?
>
> -------- unquote
>
> Having come out of the initial panic I reconsidered the thing with calm
> and of course 'discovered' that the program has done exactly what I told
> it to do, as the 'where' clause was incorporated within the two «'».
>
> My question now is:
> is there any possibility to recover such type of error while postgres is
> still running and no other transacion has been committed?

I cannot help with the recovery, but as a general rule I tend to place
all updates/deletes within an explicit transaction. Obviously you can
then rollback the transaction should the results not be as required.

dev_reinsure=# begin;
BEGIN
dev_reinsure=# update address set addrLine1='N where recno=2';
UPDATE 911
dev_reinsure=# rollback;
ROLLBACK

--