Re: PGADMIN3 request for preferences-related behavior change

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: John Genoese <john(at)memoriesdreamsandreflections(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGADMIN3 request for preferences-related behavior change
Date: 2012-03-24 15:11:36
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

On Sat, 2012-03-24 at 10:57 -0400, John Genoese wrote:
> It was actually 1.14 and 1.10. I got two machines confused.
>

> I use a Mac for development purposes. On it, I have a client that's on
> 8.4 and a client that's on 9.1. I cannot use the same PGADMIN3 tool
> for both precisely because of what you stated -- I need the different
> versions of pg_dump and pg_restore, but also because there's two
> completely discrete sets of database I must contend with.
>

> Hence, the idea of discrete configs for each. It's a significant pain
> to have to change the directories every time I switch clients.
>

> The simplest way I can think of to handle this is to make the config
> file path a startup parameter -- it could default to the normal one
> and let the user override it as necessary.

You can also create a script that will copy your 1.10 prefs file over
the regular pgAdmin prefs file, and then fire pgAdmin 1.10. And create
another script that will do the same thing with your 1.14 prefs file and
pgAdmin 1.14.

I know it's cumbersome, but we don't have another way of doing it right
now.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to change the config file. The
fact that we use the registry on Windows instead of a config file
doesn't make it easy to do.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info