Re: clustering with shared storage

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Gary Webster <webster(at)lexmark(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: clustering with shared storage
Date: 2012-03-20 19:58:17
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi,

On Tue, 2012-03-20 at 15:26 -0400, Gary Webster wrote:

> The best I've found is here:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/images/5/58/06.5_-_Devrim_Gunduz_-_PostgreSQLClusteringWithRedHatClusterSuite--LT.pdf
> but, it doesn't go into setup details.

http://www.gunduz.org/download.php?dlid=190

has a newer version (still not that detailed, but much better)

> I have a few questions/issues, but figure I will attack it piecemeal, in
> chronological order.
>
> RHCS is handling the fencing.
> I have installed postgres on the local drive of the primary, with pgdata on
> the shared drive.
> I am generally using the EnterpriseDB install package for v9.1.3 .
>
> So, first, just how to install postgres on the secondary?

Just install the binaries -- don't initdb, and then use the shared disk
as the $PGDATA. RHCS will mount the shared filesystem to only one
server, and that one will use the $PGDATa.

> 1)  If I leave it as secondary (non-active), it can't see the shared drive.
>  Is this correct/OK ?

It *can* see, but it does not see (or it should not see) and it *cannot*
use.

> If so, it will create its own pgdata locally, which is later ignored?
>
> or
>
> 2)  Do I make it primary, then point its pgdata to the already existing
> data during install ?!?

See above.

Regards,
--