Re: BUG #6489: Alter table with composite type/table

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: rikard(dot)pavelic <rikard(dot)pavelic(at)zg(dot)htnet(dot)hr>
Cc: Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6489: Alter table with composite type/table
Date: 2012-02-29 14:40:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Excerpts from rikard.pavelic's message of sáb feb 25 10:23:18 -0300 2012:

> But I would expect second alter to pass and enforcing not null and default
> when adding this column in table and not enforcing not null and default when
> adding into composite type for another table.
>
> Is this by design, oversight or a TODO?

I think this is more a TODO than anything else.  Last year we discussed
something similar to this -- twice, even; IIRC, one was buried somewhere
in the discussion about "variant" types, if you want to search the
pgsql-hackers archives.  As far as I recall, discussion died mainly
because no one had the time and/or energy to pursue it, not because it
was impossible.