Re: Misleading CREATE TABLE error

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Misleading CREATE TABLE error
Date: 2012-02-24 09:03:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On tis, 2011-11-29 at 06:33 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > > I'm not trying to inherit a relation, I'm trying to base a table on
> > > it.  As it happens, "cows" is a foreign table, which *is* a table,
> > > just not a regular table.  It might be useful to add support to clone
> > > foreign tables into regular tables, the use-case being that you may
> > > wish to import all the data locally into a table of the same
> > > structure.  But the gripe here is the suggestion that the relation
> > > would have been inherited, which would actually be achieved using
> > > INHERITS.
> >
> > Interesting.  I agree that there's no obvious reason why that
> > shouldn't be allowed to work.  Could be useful with views, too.
>
> I recently came across a situation where LIKE with a composite type
> might have been useful.

This was the last piece of the puzzle that was missing in this area, for
which I have now developed a fix.  The problem was that
parserOpenTable() rejected composite types.  But the only thing that was
really adding over using relation_open() directly was nicer error
pointers.  So I removed a few levels of indirection there, and
integrated the error pointer support directly into
transformTableLikeClause().  This also has the advantage that the "...
is not a table, view, or ..." message now has error pointer support.