Re: WEIRD CRASH?!?!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>,Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,Noah Silverman <noah(at)allresearch(dot)com>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WEIRD CRASH?!?!
Date: 2003-01-25 03:10:27
Lists: pgsql-performance
I wrote:
> Hmm ... I wonder if Noah's machine could have been running out of kernel
> file table slots, or something like that?  It does seem that it'd be
> more robust to use something like stat(2) to probe for an existing file.

I've applied a patch to do it that way in CVS HEAD.  After examining the
code further I'm inclined not to risk back-patching it into 7.3, though.
xlog.c is full of open() calls that will elog(PANIC) if they fail, so
I think there was only a very small window of opportunity for Noah to
see this failure and not another one.  The patch thus probably
contributes little real gain in reliability.