update column with multiple values

From: ssylla <stefansylla(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: update column with multiple values
Date: 2012-02-09 02:31:19
Lists: pgsql-sql
Dear list,

sorry, I already posted this, but it did not seem to have been accepted by
the mailing list. So here's my second try:

I need to update all rows of a column ('parent') based on a subquery that
returns me the first four digits of another column ('id'):

UPDATE admin SET parent=(SELECT SUBSTR(id,1,4) FROM admin);

After executing, I get the following error-message:

"more than one row returned by a subquery used as an expressionmore than one
row returned by a subquery used as an expression"

I am not quite sure about that, but maybe I need to construct a
function/loop to fulfill this task?

thanks for help.

Sent from the PostgreSQL - sql mailing list archive at

pgsql-sql by date

Next:From: Jasen BettsDate: 2012-02-09 11:36:57