Re: Feedback on database designer (1.15 Dev)

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Colin Beckingham <colbec(at)start(dot)ca>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feedback on database designer (1.15 Dev)
Date: 2012-02-06 20:33:17
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Sat, 2012-02-04 at 15:19 -0500, Colin Beckingham wrote:
> Guillaume, I spent a few minutes looking at the designer in 1.15 Dev.
> Looks interesting and impressive. I realize it is really early days yet,

Unfortunately, not that early... :-/

> but here are some comments from my OpenSUSE 12.1 Gnome 3.2 setup. If you
> are not taking comments on this topic just yet let me know.
>
> 1. The database designer opens up ok but it does not seem to matter if
> you do so from a database or schema or not. First requirement if you
> want to import tables is to select a schema, but unless you are already
> on a schema or database when DD opens it is not clear how you can select
> a schema after that. Say you have "Databases" or the server name
> selected then you are not given a list of schemas to select from.

We only need to know the schema if you want to generate the SQL, and if
you want to reverse-engineere a specific schema. Both of these wizards
ask for the schema. So, I think it's pretty covered.

> 2. Adding an empty table to a design works fine, but if you allow the
> table properties default names then adding a new table after that is not
> aware that you have added one table already and presents the same
> default names, even though you are stopped from actually adding that
> table to the design.

Crap. This used to work. I agree it's something we need to fix.

> 3. After adding a new table, if you try to drag the table from the
> 'model browser' into the 'database designer' then you get a "Table
> already exists at this diagram" message and the table is not added or
> seen. I found this puzzling after I had successfully imported tables
> from a schema and then successfully dragged them into the designer
> window. If you add a new designer window then you can drag the new
> tables into that frame.

Are you sure you wasn't in another diagram? you may have more than one
diagram (they are shown as tabs in the database designer), and you can
add the same table in one/some/all diagrams, but you cannot add one
table two times in the same diagram.

> 4. When adding tables from import into the designer frame a relationship
> line appears linking two related tables, but the ends are confusingly
> aligned. Attempts to make them line up better are not successful.

Yeah, that's one thing I would like to find a fix. The only workaround I
can offer your right now is to double click on the line. It will add a
new anchor that you can use "to add an angle" to a line. Not sure if I
explain this correctly. Just try and see if it works for you. Anyway,
it's just a workaround.

> 5. After adding two related tables with the relationship link displayed,
> if you subsequently delete one of the tables from the designer the
> relationship link remains in place. This is confusing since one end then
> points to nothing.

You're right. Another thing to fix.

Thanks for this report. Know that I really look forward to have more
reports like this. It may take some time for me to answer and fix
(latest excuse was FOSDEM), but I really appreciate, and will fix the
issues found.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info