Re: postgresql on Fedora 16

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Kevin Duffy <kevind0718(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql on Fedora 16
Date: 2012-02-03 10:32:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

On Thu, 2012-02-02 at 22:08 -0500, Kevin Duffy wrote:

> I am attempting to set up Postgresql under Fedora 16.

I believe I need to write a blog post about this soon...1

> And I think I did not do too bad for a first try for a novice.
>
> I am pretty sure I was logged in as root when I ran yum install
> postgresql-server.
> And I also used yum to install pgAdmin.
> Then I followed various postings to set the postgres account password and
> get the /usr/local/pgsql/data directory set up and permissioned correctly.
>
> I have been able to do the following:
> su postgres

This is the main cause of the problems. You would use

su - postgres

That said, there is

/usr/bin/postgresql-setup

which you can use for initdb, or such. It will initdb
to /var/lib/pgsql/data directory, and it will be compatible with the
init script.

> Is it OK that postgresql is in /usr/local/bin?

I'd stick with the RPM layout, which is /usr/bin. RPMs use that
directory.

> I though it should be in /usr/local/pgsql/bin. Least that it was where when I installed postgresql
> years ago.

It was years ago, but now we have the prebuilt packages, which will make
you lives easier.

> And what do I have to do to get postgresql to start auto on start up.

For RPMs, it is

systemctl enable postgresql.service

Then, you can use

systemctl start postgresql.service