Re: keywords in initdb are case-sensitive?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: keywords in initdb are case-sensitive?
Date: 2012-02-02 15:10:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of jue feb 02 11:39:29 -0300 2012:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:
> > In miracee's review of Peter's patch for new -A options in initdb (in
> > commitfest app only), it is noted that pg_hba.conf keyword parsing is
> > done in a case sensitive manner.  So if you write "Trust" rather than
> > "trust", it's not recognized.
> >
> > This seemed pretty nonsensical to me, and it's not documented, so I came
> > up with the trivial attached patch.
> >
> > Comparisons to user and database names and the like are unchanged and
> > thus require matching case.
>
> We have lots of things that are case-sensitive; I don't particularly
> see why this one should be different.

Err, postgresql.conf processing is case insensitive, which is the most
closely related example. Are you saying we should make that case
sensitive as well? What I'm saying is that I see no good reason for
keyword comparison to be case sensitive here. We don't compare case on
SQL keywords either.