Re: psql and schemas

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql and schemas
Date: 2004-11-01 14:44:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I'm not sure how we should handle "\dn schema_name." (notice the period;
> assuming a schema with that name exists). The current behavior of
> listing all schemas is obviously wrong, but I'm not sure what the right
> behavior is. Perhaps we should reject the command?

Seems reasonable to me. There shouldn't ever be a dot in the argument
of \dn.

> I think there needs to be a way to list all the objects in a schema.

This doesn't seem especially helpful to me, because you'd have to fit a
bunch of different object types into a one-size-fits-all output, which
would end up fitting nothing very well. You can get the effect with
\d schema_name.*
\df schema_name.*
\do schema_name.*
\da schema_name.*
etc
It's not clear to me that we need do more, especially since the user
probably knows what kinds of objects he's created, and can skip
unnecessary steps.