Re: automating CF submissions (was xlog location arithmetic)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: automating CF submissions (was xlog location arithmetic)
Date: 2012-01-17 20:17:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of mar ene 17 14:24:05 -0300 2012:

> > On 01/16/2012 05:40 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >> It's expected that we'll get a more reasonable interface to attachments,
> >> one that will allow you to download patches separately.  (Currently,
> >> attachments that have mime types other than text/plain are already
> >> downloadable separately).
>
> > Are you really sure about that? My recent JSON patch is at
> > <http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4F12F9E5.3090801@dunslane.net>.
> > I don't see any download link for the patch there, yet my mailer set the
> > attachment type to text/x-patch, not text/plain.
>
> Yeah, AFAICT the archives treat text/x-patch the same as text/plain.

Right, maybe it's text/* or something like that.

> I tend to send stuff that way if I mean it primarily to be read in the
> email.  If I'm thinking people will download and apply it, it's better
> to gzip the patch and pick a mime type appropriate to that, because that
> makes it much easier to pull the patch off the archives at need, at the
> cost that you can't just eyeball it in your mail reader.

Maybe we could find a way to convince Mhonarc to present links to
download all mime parts separately, not only those that are
undisplayable.

> Anyway, I agree with the general tenor of this thread that it'd be nice
> to reduce the impedance mismatches a bit.  Don't have any great ideas
> about specific ways to do that.

I'm hopeful that the migration to the Archivopteryx stuff by Matteo will
improve things a bit.