Re: [PERFORM] DELETE vs TRUNCATE explanation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>, Harold A(dot) Giménez <harold(dot)gimenez(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] DELETE vs TRUNCATE explanation
Date: 2012-07-19 21:02:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

> What if we change the hash table to have RelFileNode as the key and an
> array of MAX_FORKNUM bitmapsets as the value? Then when you get a
> "forget" request, you can just zap all the sets to empty.

Hm ... the only argument I can really make against that is that there'll
be no way to move such a table into shared memory; but there's probably
little hope of that anyway, given points made upthread. The bitmapset
manipulations are a bit tricky but solvable, and I agree there's
something to be said for not tying this stuff so closely to the
mechanism for relfilenode recycling.