Re: pgsql: Typo fix.

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Robert Haas <rhaas(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pg Committers <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Typo fix.
Date: 2012-01-13 16:05:51
Lists: pgsql-committers

Excerpts from Andrew Dunstan's message of vie ene 13 12:49:58 -0300 2012:

> On 01/13/2012 10:22 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Magnus Hagander<magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> >
> >> Just FWIW, I use a separate development repository as well. But I have
> >> it added as a remote from the "commit repository", and thus just do a
> >> "git merge --squash" instead of manually moving them with "patch".
> >>
> >> But I am very much a fan of keeping the repos separate for just that
> >> reason - don't want to accidentally commit dev code.
> > OK thanks.
> >
> > My patch foo seems occasionally faulty, but git merge --disaster is
> > something I'm happy to avoid. I'll work on my hand grenade juggling
> > skills before I do that.
>

> How you work is up to you, but "git merge --squash" is pretty safe,
> since it doesn't actually commit anything.

And if things go wrong you can always do git merge --abort.

I, too, used to be scared of some of the options that git gives us, but
after experimentation I found some of them to be hugely useful and safe
enough that I now very rarely run use patches anymore.