linked tables in MS Access

From: Jiří Nouza <nouza(at)seznam(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: linked tables in MS Access
Date: 2007-01-23 09:10:45
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello,

I've read a post [1] about how MS Access is enjoyable and efficient when tables are connected to MS SQL.

But I have MS Access front end containing linked tables to Postgres via ODBC. And I'm struggling with slow performance. When I want to open a table which contains about 8000 records it takes more then 20 sec. When I want to move cursor at the last record it takes more than 60 extra seconds.
I'm not able to bind comboboxes directly to larger (more than 60 records) linked table because unrolling takes 20 sec.
All tables has defined primary key, of course.
I was trying to change indexes without any result.

I've already checked Postgres server log and MS Access queries are executed quickly (<500 ms).

Is this normal behavior? Does MS Access cooperates with MS SQL such better than with other DBMS via odbc?

Does anybody have better experience?

I was trying to communicate from ASP.NET with Postgres via OLE DB driver and it was without any performance problems.

Thank you

Jirka

[1]
http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=53&Number=1321886&Zf=&Zw=odbc%20myth&Zg=0&Zl=a&Main=1321886&Search=true&where=&Zu=&Zd=g&Zn=&Zt=1&Zs=a&Zy=#Post1321886&Zp=