Re: GiST for range types (was Re: Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor)

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: GiST for range types (was Re: Range Types - typo + NULL string constructor)
Date: 2011-12-12 18:41:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 15:48 +0400, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> Rebased with head.

Thank you. I have attached a patch that's mostly just cleanup to this
one.

Comments:

* You use the term "ordinal range" quite a lot, which I haven't heard
before. Is that a mathematical term, or do you mean something more like
"ordinary"?

* There's a lot of code for range_gist_penalty. Rather than having
special cases for all combinations of properties in the new an original,
is it possible to use something a little simpler? Maybe just start the
penalty at zero, and add something for each property of the predicate
range that must be changed. The penalties added might vary, e.g., if the
original range has an infinite lower bound, changing it to have an
infinite upper bound might be a higher penalty.

* It looks like LIMIT_RATIO is not always considered. Should it be?

* You defined get/set_range_contain_empty, but didn't use them. I think
this was a merge error, but I removed them. So now there are no changes
in rangetypes.c.

Regards,
Jeff Davis

Attachment Content-Type Size
range_gist_cleanup.patch.gz application/x-gzip 6.2 KB