Re: BUG #6074: postgresql service script

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Tomas Enrique Cardozo Baudry <tomas(dot)enrique(dot)cardozo(dot)baudry(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6074: postgresql service script
Date: 2011-06-23 03:52:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> On 22/06/11 20:47, Tomas Enrique Cardozo Baudry wrote:
>> configuring the posgresql.conf on another port the service doesnt load the
>> port variable, because in the postgresql service script is a variable PGPORT
>> and this rewrite the configuration variable

> I'm pretty sure that init script is part of CentOS (probably really part
> of Red Hat Enterprise Linux), not part of PostgreSQL.

The relevant part of the RHEL5 initscript is

	# Set defaults for configuration variables
	PGENGINE=/usr/bin
	PGPORT=5432
	PGDATA=/var/lib/pgsql/data
	PGLOG=/var/lib/pgsql/pgstartup.log

	# Override defaults from /etc/sysconfig/pgsql if file is present
	[ -f /etc/sysconfig/pgsql/${NAME} ] && . /etc/sysconfig/pgsql/${NAME}

As this indicates, you are supposed to change those settings with a
script in /etc/sysconfig/pgsql/ if you need to change 'em.  It's
intentional that those settings win out over postgresql.conf.

I'm not entirely sure that the OP is using the RHEL RPMs, though,
because the fragment he quoted didn't quite match this.