Re: Notes on implementing URI syntax for libpq

From: Alexander Shulgin <ash(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Notes on implementing URI syntax for libpq
Date: 2011-11-24 13:43:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Alvaro Herrera's message of Thu Nov 24 15:21:49 +0200 2011:

> I think the question is allowing the URI to specify a service.

Huh? The service definitions are read from a local pg_service.conf, and are specified by setting PGSERVICE (and PGSERVICEFILE) environment variables, no?

What would you do with such URI if you need to other people to connect to the same service? Send them URI along with the pg_service.conf?

Or are we talking about different things completely?