Re: Shared memory corrupted?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Boes <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Shared memory corrupted?
Date: 2003-10-30 17:52:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

Jeff Boes <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> What's signal 14 on your machine? (Look in /usr/include/signal.h to
>> be sure.) Also, what PG version is this?

> 14) SIGALRM

> This is Pg 7.3.4, running on Linux 7.3 (Kernel 2.4.18-18.7.xsmp on a
> 2-processor i686).

Hm. That doesn't make any sense at all, because SIGALRM is either
caught by a handler or ignored everywhere in the Postgres backend.
There is no situation where it could legitimately cause process
termination. Is it possible you are dealing with a kernel bug?

[ thinks... ] Another possibility is that you are running some
non-Postgres code that resets SIGALRM handling to default. I have
heard rumors that Perl will do that in some cases, for example.
Are you using plperl?