Re: pg_hba.conf changes have no effect on cygwin/NT 4.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: lbottorff(at)harveycounty(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_hba.conf changes have no effect on cygwin/NT 4.0
Date: 2001-02-27 22:29:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

lbottorff(at)harveycounty(dot)com writes:
> Any other lines in pg_hba.conf don't seem to work,

Hmm. Forgive me for asking the obvious, but are you sure you are
editing the same copy of pg_hba.conf that the postmaster is looking at?

> Note I am using cygwin/NT 4.0 to run Postgres 7.0.3. I am
> starting and stopping postgres after each pg_hba.conf change.

It is not necessary to restart the postmaster after changing pg_hba.conf
(because it's re-read on each connect request ... inelegant, but
effective ...).

Perhaps cygwin/NT is doing something weird that causes the updated file
not to be seen?

Also, it might be a good idea to be sure you are saving the file with
Unix-ish newlines, not DOS-ish. Not sure whether our pg_hba reader code
will treat \r as whitespace or not.