Re: pg_upgrade - add config directory setting

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade - add config directory setting
Date: 2011-09-29 13:44:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of jue sep 29 09:56:09 -0300 2011:

> Thinking some more, I don't need to know the data directory while the
> server is down --- I already am starting it. pg_upgrade starts both old
> and new servers during its check phase, and it could look up the
> data_directory GUC variable and use that value when accessing files.
> That would work for old and new servers.  However, I assume that is
> something we would not backpatch to 9.1.

Why not?  We've supported separate data/config dirs for a long time now,
so it seems to me that pg_upgrade not coping with them is a bug.  If
pg_upgrade starts postmaster, it seems simple to grab the data_directory
setting, is it not?