Re: pgsql: rm_cleanup functions need to be allowed to write WAL entries.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: rm_cleanup functions need to be allowed to write WAL entries.
Date: 2009-08-09 15:41:04
Lists: pgsql-committers
> I want to move in the direction of having two cleanup routines, one
> executed before recovery ends and one done afterwards, so it can write
> WAL. Perhaps these would be called rm_makesafe() and rm_repair(). Rough
> thinking at this stage.

> The rm_repair() would execute in a separate process once we're up.

Er, what's the point of that?  It would make life tremendously harder
for resource managers, which could no longer rely on tracking their
state locally within the startup process.  And AFAICS there is no
benefit to be had, compared to the existing plan of letting backends
run while the startup process is still active.