standby becomes primary and then?

From: MirrorX <mirrorx(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: standby becomes primary and then?
Date: 2011-09-25 12:15:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

dear all,

i would like your help on the following matter:

the other day i had to bring up the failover server. it was in warm standby
mode and everything went fine. my question is this-> when the secondary
becomes primary is there a way for the primary to immediately turn to
warm-standby mode? in more details what i did is this:
1)stopped primary
2)rsync last wals
3)apply wals to secondary
4)bring up secondary. the first wal archive he wrote was the next in the
sequence of the first. that is to say the last wal of the first was xxxxx01
and the first of the 2nd was xxxxx02.
5)put the former primary to standby mode and giving as %f the first wal that
that the new primary produced

but it didnt work. the error msg was sth about the timeline of the wals in a
xxxx.history file. so my question is a little more general. should this
method work in general? should have i done something differenctly? note here
that i didn't have any backup_label file. so probably to make it work i
should immediately put the new primary to backup mode? (pg_start_backup).

thx in advance for your help