PG-9.0 - XML Data in a Column

From: Arvind Sharma <arvind321(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PG-9.0 - XML Data in a Column
Date: 2011-09-22 22:02:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

Is there a way to extract the contents of a column which is nothing but a well defined XML blob of data, and to be able to traverse the XML Elements ( XPath style) using any in-build functions ?

Also, how would I store such a XML blob in a column ?  Declare the column as 'VARCHAR(256)' or something else ?

Would this require any special module to be loaded at the Server startup ?  I am using the PG-9.0 Installer from the official site.

Thanks!
Arvind