Re: psql additions

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql additions
Date: 2011-09-12 18:14:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On mån, 2011-09-12 at 09:01 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 09/12/2011 08:39 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> >> We do? We control columns, but not lines AFAIK.
> > We check the lines and columns in the terminal window. Oddly enough,
> > that code is in two separate places, so I don't know if they have
> > consistent effects.
> >

> Yes, but what I want is to be able to control it. So even if my terminal
> is 50 lines long I want to be able to say "Don't use the pager unless
> there are 200 or more lines."

Right. Actually, if you implemented the \setenv idea, you could set the
environment variable LINES to get that effect. Except that you will
then also have to implement the part that looks at the LINES variable,
but we have code elsewhere that looks at COLUMNS, so that would only be
consistent. Again, see comment above that the lines and columns
checking might be a bit inconsistent at the moment.